- Autumn 2020 - present: Researcher
- University of Bergen, Geophysical Institute & Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research
- Duties included: Analysing reanalysis, and climate/S2S model data to better understand climate variability and its role in long-term prediction. @Bjerknes Centre Prediction Unit
- Advisors: Dr. Nour-Eddine Omrani, Prof. Noel S. Keenlyside
- Autumn 2018 - Autumn 2020: Postdoctoral Fellow
- Colorado State University, Department of Atmospheric Science
- Duties included: Analysing reanalysis, and idealised model output for better understanding of extratropical dynamics (storm tracks, stratosphere-troposphere interaction).
- Visiting scientist at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München.
- Advisors: Prof. David W.J. Thompson, Prof. Thomas Birner (LMU)
- Autumn 2013- Summer 2014: Climatologist
- Slovenian Environment Agency, Sector for Climatology
- Duties included: Analysing regional climate model data (CORDEX,ENSEMBLES) for regional climate change studies of Slovenia and Southeast Europe.
- Ph.D. in Atmosphere, Ocean and Climate, University of Reading, 2018
- Thesis title: “Baroclinic and Barotropic Aspects of Wave-Mean Flow Interaction”
- Supervisors: Prof. Theodore G. Shepherd, Dr. Michael Blackburn, Prof. Sir Brian J. Hoskins
- M.Sc. in Atmosphere, Ocean and Climate, University of Reading, 2013
- Dissertation title: “Identifying Slow Modes of Variability Using Wave Activity Theory”
- Supervisors: Prof. John Methven, Dr. Thomas H.A. Frame
- B.Sc. in Meteorology with Geophysics, University of Ljubljana, 2012
- Analysing large datasets in various programming languages (Python, Matlab, R, C, NCL etc.)
- Running idealised atmospheric models (dry-dynamical core and aquaplanet setups; Fortran)
- Analysing regional and global climate model output.
- Analysing subseasonal-to-seasonal (SubX) models
- Jun 2021: Received the AGU 2020 Editors’ Citation for Excellence in Refereeing for JGR-Atmospheres.
- Jun 2020: Awarded European Meteorological Society Outreach and Communication Award for the ongoing project RESCCCUE together with Žiga Zaplotnik, Nina Črnivec and Aljoša Slameršak. [List of outreach activites before May 20th 2020.] Awards ceremony.
- Sep 2018: Received a bursary by SPARC to attend the ‘SPARC General Assembly’ (Kyoto, Japan).
- Sep 2016: Received a bursary by the University of Cambridge (Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics) to attend the ‘Fluid Dynamics of Sustainability and the Environment’ Summer School (Cambridge, UK).
- Nov 2015: Received ‘Preparing to Teach’ certificate (University of Reading).
- Oct 2014 - Sep 2018: Awarded studentship for PhD degree by The University of Reading PhD Studentship (via ERC).
- Oct 2013: Awarded Sutcliffe Prize for Overall Achievement at MSc level (University of Reading).
- Jun 2013: Received Met Office Forecasting Diploma (University of Reading).
- Oct 2012 - Oct 2013: Awarded studentship for MSc degree by The Slovenian Scholarship Fund Ad Futura.
- Oct 2009 - Jul 2012: Awarded Dean’s Award three consecutive years for outstanding academic achievement (University of Ljubljana).
- Sep 2006 - Jul 2012: Awarded studentship for secondary school and undergraduate degree by The Municipality of Ljubljana Fund for talented students.
I collaborate with experts in different fields (incl. Matthew Johnson, David Bickford, Thomas Sparks, Benjamin Moss, Linnea Luupala, Vanessa Burns) in order to address environmental, ethical, legal etc. implications of climate change.
I also collaborate with my colleagues from Slovenia (Žiga Zaplotnik, Nina Črnivec, Aljoša Slameršak, and others) mostly on informing the Slovenian general public and politicians of the climate change impacts and how to address them - projects RESCCCUE & Podnebnik: @Twitter, @Medium; some links related to Slovenian meterology can be found here.
Media (Slovenian only)
Columns for Finance Manager
- Jan 2022: Climate change has always happened. Why is it so alarming now?
- Oct 2021: Climate of the future or how seriously should we take the warnings?
- Aug 2021: Interview for Svet24 on recent IPCC report (together with A. Slameršak).
- Aug 2021: Interview for Zarja/Jana on recent heat, fires, floods across the globe.
- Apr 2021: Interview for Svet24 on weather extremes now and in the future (together with A. Sušnik and N. Črnivec).
- Jun 2020: A comment on how could coronavirus shape our future and action against climate change - Finance Manager. Summary. Other renown Slovenian experts provided comments for after-coronavirus world in their respective fields as well.
- Jan 2020: Interview for the magazine “Zarja/Jana” about fires in Australia (together with A. Slameršak and A. Gaberščik).
- Nov 2019: Interview for Radio Študent (together with Ž. Zaplotnik, N. Črnivec, and A. Slameršak) about the open letter to the government (climate change).
- Nov 2019: Interview for the magazine “Zarja/Jana” about the open letter to the government (climate change).
See Publications tab.
See Presentations tab.
See Teaching tab.