- Autumn 2020 - present: Researcher / Postdoctoral Fellow
- University of Bergen, Geophysical Institute & Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research
- Duties included: Analysing reanalysis, and climate model data to better understand climate variability and its role in long-term prediction (summertime blocking, Hadley cell, El Niño Southern Oscillation, Atlantic multidecadal variability, teleconnections). @Bjerknes Centre Prediction Unit @Climate Futures
- Advisors: Dr. Nour-Eddine Omrani, Prof. Noel S. Keenlyside
- Autumn 2018 - Autumn 2020: Postdoctoral Fellow
- Colorado State University, Department of Atmospheric Science
- Duties included: Analysing reanalysis, and idealised model output for better understanding of extratropical dynamics (storm tracks, stratosphere-troposphere interaction).
- Visiting scientist at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München.
- Advisors: Prof. David W.J. Thompson, Prof. Thomas Birner (LMU)
- Autumn 2013- Summer 2014: Climatologist
- Slovenian Environment Agency, Sector for Climatology
- Duties included: Analysing regional climate model data (CORDEX,ENSEMBLES) for regional climate change studies of Slovenia and Southeast Europe.
- Ph.D. in Atmosphere, Ocean and Climate, University of Reading, 2018
- Thesis title: “Baroclinic and Barotropic Aspects of Wave-Mean Flow Interaction”
- Supervisors: Prof. Theodore G. Shepherd, Dr. Michael Blackburn, Prof. Sir Brian J. Hoskins
- M.Sc. in Atmosphere, Ocean and Climate, University of Reading, 2013
- Dissertation title: “Identifying Slow Modes of Variability Using Wave Activity Theory”
- Supervisors: Prof. John Methven, Dr. Thomas H.A. Frame
- B.Sc. in Meteorology with Geophysics, University of Ljubljana, 2012
- Analysing large datasets in various programming languages (Python, Matlab, R, C, NCL etc.)
- Running idealised atmospheric models (dry-dynamical core and aquaplanet setups; Fortran)
- Analysing regional and global climate model output.
- Analysing subseasonal-to-seasonal (SubX) models
Awards, Prizes & Certificates
- Dec 2022: Received volunteer appreciation certificate by society of Slovenian community educated abroad for work as a member of Scandinavia local committee.
- Jun 2022: Awarded the Quarterly Journal Prize Reviewer’s Certificate for 2021 by the Royal Meteorological Society. [news story]
- Jul 2021: Received the AGU 2020 Editors’ Citation for Excellence in Refereeing for JGR-Atmospheres.
- Jun 2020: Awarded European Meteorological Society Outreach and Communication Award for the ongoing project RESCCCUE together with Žiga Zaplotnik, Nina Črnivec and Aljoša Slameršak. [List of outreach activites before May 20th 2020.] Awards ceremony.
- Nov 2015: Received ‘Preparing to Teach’ certificate (University of Reading).
- Oct 2013: Awarded Sutcliffe Prize for Overall Achievement at MSc level (University of Reading).
- Jun 2013: Received Met Office Forecasting Diploma (University of Reading).
- Oct 2009 - Jul 2012: Awarded Dean’s Award three consecutive years for outstanding academic achievement (University of Ljubljana).
Funding (projects, travel grants, studentships)
- Jan 2023 - Dec 2023: Awarded Bjerknes Centre seed funding (Fast Track Initiative) for a small research project.
- Sep 2018: Received a bursary (travel grant) by SPARC to attend the ‘SPARC General Assembly’ (Kyoto, Japan).
- Sep 2016: Received a bursary (travel grant) by the University of Cambridge (Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics) to attend the ‘Fluid Dynamics of Sustainability and the Environment’ Summer School (Cambridge, UK).
- Oct 2014 - Sep 2018: Awarded studentship for PhD degree by The University of Reading PhD Studentship.
- Oct 2012 - Oct 2013: Awarded studentship for MSc degree by The Slovenian Scholarship Fund Ad Futura.
- Sep 2006 - Jul 2012: Awarded studentship for secondary school and undergraduate degree by The Municipality of Ljubljana Fund for talented students.
Outreach (Slovenian only)
See Outreach tab.
See Publications tab.
See Presentations tab.
See Teaching tab.